Saturday, July 2, 2011

Kids' Summer Scramping Art Camp

This summer, like last, I'm running a stamping/scrapbooking camp for kids. It is very small and informal but a whole lot of fun. It was just too difficult to pick one week that fit everyone's schedule so I decided to run two sessions, but to have the first session be two days while the second session will be four days.

So we were in session this past Thursday and Friday and it went really well. One of the best parts was after camp on Friday when the girls hugged me goodbye. So sweet!

Here are some of the projects we worked on.
Each camp member receives one A Posey stamp set as part of their camp supplies. This is a very simple card we made after I demonstrated how to stamp. I also showed stamp kissing and the rock and roll technique. I really love this stamp set!


The girls each decorated a 5" x 7" insert to slip into the front pocket of the My Creations Journal. I had certain elements that I suggested they use but they picked out their background paper, inked up their initials in whatever colors they wanted, and adhered things wherever they liked. I was inspired by this design by Lisa Stenz.


I had never stamped on candles (or rather on tissue paper to melt into the candles) before and was a little nervous about how these would come out but they really looked beautiful. This isn't the best picture but I snapped it quickly before the girls had to leave. After experiencing how fun and easy this was, I think I will have to come up with a workshop on stamping candles for adults now.


We also altered mini composition notebooks. The girls went all out using sparkles and pearls! Another big project we worked on was altering the My Creations Banner but I don't have pictures of that. As you can see, we mainly used the Sophia papers on the projects for the sake of simplicity. Sometimes it's overwhelming when there is too much choice. Knowing who's coming next week though, I may not be able to limit the campers to just one type of paper pack...but it worked out fine for this week!

My summer has started off very nicely. Other than Scramp Camp, I've had a chance to do some reading and T.V. show/movie viewing that I don't normally get to do during the school year when my work schedule is more hectic. We have a very inexpensive movie theater near us which shows second run movies so I've taken the kids to see two movies there so far, Rio and Hoodwinked Too (we liked both of them). I borrowed the DVD's for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Season 1 from the library and watched all the episodes (in just a couple of days) -- yes, even though the show came out in 2008, I only got around to watching it now! I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett and started Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

I've also been obsessed with this.
Panna Cotta!

My sweet friend and boss for my work from home job, Karleen, gave us a gift card for Macaroni Grill which we used to celebrate Father's Day (with a lovely lunch the day after Father's Day...what we do to avoid a rush!). We had their Panna Cotta and decided we needed to make it at home too because it was just so good. It turns out that it is usually made with gelatin which we can't have, so I started researching what we could substitute for it and came up with agar agar. I was only able to find a very expensive little bag of agar agar flakes at Whole Foods but we went ahead and got it. So the kids and I have made it twice so far (successfully). The first two attempts were not so great but we're learning! It goes so nicely with summer berries. I do think I will have to clean off the treadmill and start using it again though!
Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...