Sunday, January 31, 2010

Inspired by Card Magazines

One of my presents for my birthday was a gift certificate to Borders and my first thought was to go and buy an updated street atlas for Northern Virginia since our old one is all tattered and somewhat outdated. I talked myself out of it! With mapquest and google maps, I thought, "Do we really need one?" We don't have a GPS right now but we might get one in the future...so I talked myself into getting two card magazines. Okay, so it wasn't a tough sell! I bought, "Take Ten," from Stampers Sampler and, "Card Creations," from Papercrafts. Both magazines have a lot of great card ideas so I'm glad I didn't get the street atlas!

This card was inspired by the design challenge featured in the, "Take Ten" issue I got. The card is folded in a way that the outside or front is a bit shorter (about an inch) than the inside.  And the corners are rounded, even though my scanner kept cutting off the top corner, grrrr! I used CTMH's textured cardstock (one side is slightly lighter than the other side) as my card base so that's why the extended inside edge looks lighter. I made this card after having worked on another complicated one for a VERY long time. I just didn't like how the first came out so I went on to this one which ended up having no stamping and coming together much more quickly! I needed to do something simple after all that.

Supplies used: (X5670) Textured cardstock Winter Cozy Palette, (Z822) Just Blooms Summer Posies, (Z1104) Clear Sparkles, (Z578) Corner Rounder, (Retired) Sassy Strands Autumn Harvest

The next card does have stamping and wasn't necessarily inspired by a card I saw in one of the magazines but I used the same textured paper for the card base that I used in the no stamping card. I also used a stamp set that I've recently gotten (I love the little ducks in Springtime).  The top of the umbrella is popped up for dimension.

Supplies Used: (X5670) Textured cardstock Winter Cozy Palette, (D1415) Springtime stamp set, (C1257), Happy Birthday stamp set, (X7114B) Bella Level 2 paper pack, (Z2111) Chocolate stamp pad, (Z2161) Petal stamp pad, (Z2367) Creme Brulee marker, (Z2301) Autumn Terracotta marker, (Z1151) 3-D Foam Tape, nestabilities

I've always admired those who can make simple yet elegant artwork. It seems that when I try to do this, something is just a bit off. I don't have quite the same graphic design sense. Anyway, here's my attempt at a simple card which also uses up some scraps and it was inspired by a card I saw in, "Card Creations."

Supplies Used: (D1187) For Every Occasion stamp set, (Z2105) Black stamp pad, scraps from my scrap drawer (black cardstock, Emporium papers)


Pin It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

found your blog by while looking for Springtime D1415 ideas... dreaming about my order I placed this morning... :D Can't wait to use that umbrella and duckie... and I have SO many picture of my DD in rainboots.

LOVE the simple card. I have so much old patterned paper that I HAD TO HAVE... that matches nothing... this would be a great layout for that stuff. To make more room for CTMH product... :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...